Tips for selecting a daycare provider:
- Visit the facility twice: once by yourself to ask questions, and once with your child to observe.
- Know your state’s licensing regulations. Do they include mandatory CPR training, frequent inspections, background checks, fingerprinting and TB tests?
- Before you begin the search, write your “wish list” for a caregiver. Update and delete as your perceptions change. When you think you have found someone, make sure he or she fits the bill on the majority of “wish” list items.
- When placing an ad in the paper, use the phone to screen thoroughly. Only visit the top candidates.
- Always check references.
- If you see parents on-site, be subtle but try to get impromptu references.
- Before acceptance, ask yourself, “Do I feel completely confident with this person?”
- Don’t settle. Keep looking until you find the right person!