GRAND CENTENNIAL PARADE OF TRAINS
WHAT: An extraordinary assembly of historic train cars spanning the heyday of luxury rail travel, as well as the latest in railroad technology, will be on display together for the first time in the free and family-friendly “Grand Centennial Parade of Trains” weekend. The historic train cars, including an observation car from the iconic 20th Century Limited – arguably the most famous train in the world – will be accompanied by a number of cars from the Metro-North fleet. The event also includes Grand Central’s first model train show and “Railroadiana” antiques and collectibles event.
Visual highlights include:
- A “Kid Junction” activity area with a modular train display from the animated train series “Chuggington” (as seen on the “Disney Junior” channel)
- Guinness World Record/Chuggington challenge for “World’s Tallest Railroad Track” (Saturday only, 12:30 p.m. – 1:15 p.m.)
- · Demonstrations with a Master Builder from the LEGOLAND Discovery Center Westchester (Saturday, 2:35 p.m. – 3:55 p.m.; Sunday 10:40 a.m. – 11:10 a.m. and 1:20 p.m. – 1:50 p.m.)
- Creative activities led by New York Transit Museum and New York Botanical Garden staff
- Demonstrations by Metro-North, about the many functions that support a railroad
- Musical performances (Saturday and Sunday, 10 a.m. and 3:30 p.m.)
- Metro-North’s robotic mascot, Metro Man, Talks Railway Safety (Saturday, 10:40 a.m. and 2:10 p.m.; and Sunday, 12:10 p.m. and 2:40 p.m.)
- Vintage IRT subway trains running on a track of the Times Square Shuttle all weekend long
- Special deals and promotions at Grand Central shops (Saturday and Sunday, while supplies last).
WHERE: Grand Central Terminal
Trains: Platforms at Tracks 34, 35, 36 and 37
“Kid Junction” and “Railroadiana”: Vanderbilt Hall, 89 E. 42 St., New York, NY
WHEN: Saturday and Sunday, May 11 and 12, 2013
10 a.m. to 4 p.m.
Free and open to the public.
INFO: Full details on the “Grand Centennial Parade of Trains” as well as other Centennial-year activities are available atwww.grandcentralterminal.com.
** Please note that no backpacks will be permitted in the event spaces for Grand Central’s Centennial Parade of Trains, including Vanderbilt Hall and on the platforms serving Tracks 34 to 37. There will be no bag check available so those carrying backpacks will not be able to view or participate in the event. **