- 5 cups bread cubes (or enough bread of your choice to make two layers in dish)
- 4 eggs
- 1 ½ cups milk
- ¼ cup white sugar, divided
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon butter, softened
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 350° F (175˚ C).
- Lightly butter a 9″x 13″ baking pan.
- Line bottom of pan with bread (make sure to fill in any spaces with cubes or pieces of bread—all of the way to the edge).
- In a large bowl, beat together eggs, milk, 2 tablespoons sugar, salt and vanilla.
- Pour egg mixture over bread. (You can refrigerate the casserole overnight at this point.)
- When you are ready to cook, dot the casserole with margarine; let stand for 10 minutes.
- Combine remaining 2 tablespoons sugar with 1 teaspoon cinnamon and sprinkle over the top.
- Bake in preheated oven about 30 to 40 minutes, until top is golden